Search This Blog

Sunday, December 10, 2017

Wool on Sunday; one week late! 

Yes, I've managed to miss out on linking in with Rainbow Hare's final Wool on Sunday for 2017. But without further ado, I will still write my 'yarny post'. Due to computer problems Janine was not able to have a November Wool on Sunday link up so this post is actually what I would have posted then.

This project came about when I found that a former work colleague was going through a very difficult time due to mental health issues. She had even spent a few spells in a unit at one of our major hospitals, consequently missing her sons, but acknowledging that was the best place for her to be at that time 😕.
At the time, I had just made a pink throw for my hairdresser and I suddenly had this thought when I'd finished that one, that T had loved pink when we worked together in the early 2000s. I had lots of pink yarns left over and envisaged a similar throw...a chevron quick knit favourite of mine. Consulting with T I found that she liked very soft pinks but partnered with greys and white. ( I remembered that she had had a favourite checked  winter coat in those colours when we had worked together)
I'm trying to use up my stash and the desired colours were in the mohair range/oddments that I have, so I jettisoned the idea of the garter stitch chevron and went for the wavy slipstitch that works up beautifully in mohair. And is still a quick knit!
I did run out of some of the colours but substituted similar ones from the stash...and I think it still looked okay.

Because I was actually temporarily back in the workforce by early November, the throw was posted to T. And she messaged me as soon as it arrived and I could tell it had given her a tremendous 'lift', and that was what I'd hoped for. 

9 comments:

Susan said...

Maria - it far more than "Okay" - beautiful-and whatever you substituted doesn't look that way at all.

Michelle Ridgway said...

So beautiful Maria! It looks so soft and snuggly....such a lovely heartfelt gift for your friend xx

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

That really is awesome ❤️❤️❤️

Dorothy said...

What a beautiful throw and a beautiful gesture. I'm sure your friend will cherish her gift.

Sue said...

You are amazing, Maria! Such a beautiful gift. :-)

Vireya said...

A beautiful and comforting gift.

Jindi's Cottage said...

It is just lovely...looks beautiful in those colours...

Denice Barker said...

See what I mean about 'joy?'

Jackie said...

Soft and snuggly, just like a hug. You gave your friend a wonderful gift of your time and love.

God bless.