Search This Blog

Sunday, June 21, 2015

FNSI...

I'm a bit late with this post as it's now Sunday Night!
Well I had hoped to write about doing the last little bit of stitching on my Blocks in the Liberty Stamp block swap which was run via Instagram. I had been working on this project on and off for many weeks...just 'ambling along' doing a little bit at a time. We had to make a total of 28 blocks but only 27 were to be posted off. Each block consists of 16, two and a half inch squares and for each block we had to use 16 different Liberty fabrics. We were given a diagram for assembly...
First we had to sew 8 pairs of squares...
Then 2 pairs were joined to make 4 larger squares...
Then 2 pairs of these were joined to make 2 rectangles...
And then these 2 rectangles were joined to make the 16 square block. 
I had been getting all these rectangles ready to join to make the quilt blocks and this finishing was my plan for Friday night...16 quarter inch seams...easy? And yes it was...till I decided to measure each block before I wrapped them ready to mail...and then that's when the drama started! 
Yep! The completed blocks were not 8 1/2 inch square; a lot were 8 1/4! 
But it gets worse! I checked the print-out of the instructions again and realised that the segments in the few blocks that measured the 8 1/2 inches, were not the layout in the instruction diagram...my 'ups' and 'downs' seams were not the right way...so out those blocks went! Yikes! 
So FNSI became Friday Night of Reverse Stitching...or Frenzied Night of Seam Ripping. As I examined each segment, I found so many careless errors...and I had broken so many patchworking rules...and didn't measure after each section was completed etc etc. 
Some of the blocks were unfixable, so my Liberty Scraps box started to fill up. I knew I'd have to cut some more squares and start new blocks. But I planned to fix those I could first, so the night ended with 'deconstructed' quilt blocks all over the table. 
I didn't get much time yesterday to try to remake all those blocks, so today was spent trying to get as many done as possible. In hindsight it may have been quicker to start new ones. 
So there is some progress...half the blocks have been redone.
So tomorrow will be busy stitching too. The blocks have to be posted and arrive in W.A. by June 30. 
Despite the dramas I'm still enjoying this project. I really like the method of joining, and despite 'mucking things up', it's been a good learning experience and a reminder of how important accuracy in cutting and seam allowance etc is. 
All the discarded blocks and part blocks, I will use in other projects, so the fabric won't be wasted. 
According to a few posts on Instagram by other participants, there have been trials and tribulations for them too...but only a few. Most seem to have their squares completed. Some of them are in this screen shot of the Swap's IG page...

Each of us will receive 27 blocks and already some people are explaining what they will make. I think I will make a baby quilt...but it's just a dream at the moment...first I must get 27 blocks completed and the correct size too of course! 

8 comments:

Lin said...

What a shame your pleasant night of stitching with friends turned into such a frenzy! Your fabrics look gorgeous - well they would as they are Liberty! Always good to share mistakes as well as triumphs - lessons to be learned for all. xx

Maria said...

Sorry you had dramas Maria but in the end your blocks look great.

Susan said...

Darn...its good that you checked and corrected...though very annoying at the same time. Its going to be pretty...

Theresa said...

Some projects turn out to be that way. What's always great is when you get it figured and fix it. That always feels just as good as getting it right the first time. Well, sometimes. lol Either way, it looks to be a lovely quilt.

Leanne said...

Your project is looking great, Liberty fabrics are so pretty. Your baby quilt will be a lovely idea.

margaret said...

oh no you must have felt like throwing in the towel when you first discovered they were not the right size, well done you to unpick and redo.

You will have a lovely quilt when you receive all your swap blocks

Vireya said...

How frustrating! Your blocks look beautiful. That wouldn't be my preferred way to assemble 16-patches, but I suppose when you are swapping everyone has to do it the same way as each other so that they will go together properly. It will be a gorgeous quilt.

Tania said...

Hi Maria, sorry to hear you had a lot of 'reverse stitching' to do, but nice to have some lovely Liberty scraps to play with!