Search This Blog

Monday, August 5, 2019

Wool on Sunday...

My goodness, this last month has flown by so quickly and here I am writing a Wool on Sunday post for August. And of course linking back to Janine’s blog, The Rainbow Hare here where Janine shares a pattern for knitted and crocheted ice cream cones.
I was able to donate 2 knitted throws to be sold at the annual parish Art and Craft Show. Both were sold prior to opening night, 2 weekends ago. 
One was a garter stitch chevrons rug that I had finished a few months ago and put aside until it was needed. 
I wrapped this throw around the shoulders of its new owner...


The second throw that I donated was in a honeycomb slipstitch design and seemed to take ages to finish ( but it was probably only 3 1/2 weeks work) and it was finally completed the weekend before the show. 
I took a photo of it in the sunlight...


Inside it looked completely different! 


I want to share with you a very special story about the sale of this throw. The lady who bought this, asked for it to be put aside for her when she saw it a few days before the show opened. She didn’t know the price but insisted that she had to have it, no matter the cost. N had bought one of my donated throws last year, so I was surprised when I was told that she’d asked to buy this one too. Sadly, a few weeks before this, N had lost her 18 year old son to an accidental overdose. 

The organisers of the show explained that N wanted to buy this new throw to give to her teenage  daughter on the day that would have been the deceased boy’s birthday. The 2 siblings had been very close. 
But the story gets even more poignant. A former teacher of both siblings ( Year 1), who heard the story insisted on donating a quarter of the price so that when N came to collect and pay for the item, it would be less of an impost for her at this sad time in her life. Such a wonderful act of kindness. 
With that knitting commitment out of the way, I’ve now gone back to joining donated squares into blankets for charity. ( a number of the granny squares have been made by me at Knit and Natters) 


So my next month’s Wool on Sunday post should contain photos of these completed blankets. 

7 comments:

Nanna Chel said...

What a lovely story, Maria. Sad too though unfortunately. I have only been making loom knitted beanies and finished five in time for the Homeless Week sleep out fundraiser here in town. i hope they keep a few heads warm.

Jackie said...

Lovely story. I hope the throw gives her daughter some peace.

God bless.

Vireya said...

Beautiful throws, but such a sad story.

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

That is a very moving story, Maria, and I'm sure your beautiful honeycomb throw with bring comfort to the boy's sister and mother and also be a remembrance for them. And I'm sure the other lady will be very happy with the zig zag one. It's nice to know your work will be treasured. Thank you very much for linking up with Wool on Sundays :)

Dorothy said...

That's a beautiful story about N and your blanket Maria. It will obviously be very much loved. I don't know how you find the time to do so much crocheting - always seem to be out and about having a full life. xox

handmade by amalia said...

The throws are beautiful and made with love. I hope they work their magic in their new homes.
Amalia
xo

Susan said...

What a lovely gesture by the teacher - must run in the profession...but how sad for N.