Search This Blog

Sunday, August 18, 2019

It’s Book Week in Australia!

Since 1946, the Children’s Book Council of Australia has run a Book of the Year competition. Find more information here.
Couldn’t resist inserting this meme!



I don’t remember having Book Week activities when I was at school, but then again, in those days, primary schools did not have teacher librarians on staff. Libraries in schools were a bit of a ‘hit or miss’ situation, depending on parent organisations to provide books and a teacher to volunteer to run the library.

I started teaching in 1971 and I can remember how excited the staff were, when a teacher librarian was appointed in 1975...at last!! So from then on, I was involved in Book Week activities organised by a TL. Some schools had grand affairs; others had more modest celebrations for the week. 
Here’s a photo of DD2 ( on the right) dressed up as a book character for Book Week. Neither she nor I can remember who that character was...but it was in the early 90s.


Now as a teacher, my classes expected me to dress up as well...I didn’t need much urging as it was always lots of fun. Here I am as Mr Biffy ( a clown) from the book ‘Mr Biffy’s Battle’...probably 1999. 


This year my granddaughter Holly is dressing up as a book character for Book Week celebrations at her Daycare Centre and DD2 asked for my help. My daughter said the character would either be the witch in ‘Room on the Broom’ or Edwina the Emu...I thought the witch would be a better idea/easier and DD2 agreed 😆. 



I was tasked with making the skirt, cloak and the plait. DD2 bought the hat, broom and wand online.  Last Friday Holly helped me finish her costume 😉. 




Ta dah! 


So a bit more fabric from my largish stash has been used...and that’s always a bonus! Lol

12 comments:

Nanna Chel said...

Aah ...Book Week! What a busy time it used to be for us in our school library. We were always glad when it was over ;-)

Vireya said...

Book week was never celebrated in any school I attended, or that my son went to. I didn't realise it had a long history as I thought it was something that had only started this century. At least I never heard of anyone making/wearing costumes for it until the internet came along!

Well done on that witch costume! Holly looks adorable.

Lowcarb team member said...

Yes, book week is celebrated in many of our UK schools including the grand-children's, they enjoy it.
Loved seeing your photographs.

All the best Jan

Sharm said...

Oh she looks sooo cute!

Happy Retiree's Kitchen said...

Oops I'll try again. I was thrown off my last attempt:) Loved your post, and showing my age I had a chuckle at the card catalog photo as I spent a lot of time working at one of those during my early years as a cataloguer in the many libraries I worked in. I loved Book week when I worked in public libraries, so much fun, and I still love to hear who the winners are, don't you? You did a great job on the little witch costume, they are so lucky to have you on board Maria. Best wishes, Pauline

Jackie said...

I was lucky growing up. All the schools I attended had a librarian who I would bug constantly for something good to read. I think by the time I finished grade 8 the librarian was happy to see the end of me.

Love the costume.

God bless.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Love this post. We don't have book week here that I know of, but our schools usually celebrate Seuss's birthday.
xx, Carol

Maria said...

Holly is the cutest little witch and of course Gran make a purple skirt.....

angela said...

Good job.
I don’t remember doing book week at school
And I don’t think it was a huge big deal for my kids either.
But then again. I’m getting old and forgetful lol

Pink Rose said...

Hi Maria thankyou for visiting my blog i was very excited to see that you had left a comment.
Gee Holly has grown ,what a pretty girl,i love the costume you made her she looks so cute.
hope you have a wonderful weekend my friend xx

Una said...

Books and libraries are so important to children. I want to rage when I hear about another library being closed. My daughter's primary school had a lovely large room used as the library. The intake grew and it had to be used as an overflow classroom. But the lucky children now have an old railway carriage in the playground that has become their library. They love visiting it.

Sue (this n that) said...

Hi Maria, I suddenly remembered I hadn't read this post which popped up on my sidebar a few days ago. So glad I found it again - I loved the meme and had a chuckle.
Your dressing up as a Teacher was very good and I bet it was admired by the students.
That's such an adorable photo of yourself and cute helper Holly. She's a real sweetie and, wow, what a splendid costume you made for her... well done :D)
After I retired from the workforce and we travelled and stayed at various places in our bus, I volunteered at some of those places.
At Dunolly Primary School in Central Victoria I worked in the library repairing books. It was so enjoyable and seeing what activities went on there made me wish we'd had a library in my schooldays.
A lovely post Maria. Cheers :D) xx