Search This Blog

Thursday, October 19, 2017

The Tale of Two Tablecloths! 

DD1 decided that she would like to use the tablecloth that her late paternal grandmother had made for her, at her wedding.
One problem arose...it needed ironing and DD1 doesn't own an iron. 😳. So you can guess who did the ironing that was needed can't you?

And I had offered DD1 the tablecloth that this same wonderful lady had made me for my 40th birthday, to use as well. At the wedding the first cloth was used on the gift table and mine was used on the buffet table.
I was going to take a photo of my cloth but I had found an old photo taken of that cloth, not long after I received it. It was such a special and wonderful gift.

And here are some photos of DD1's cloth...

My mother in law had been crocheting since she was 6 years old but it was only when my much younger brother in law left home in the 1980s that Elsie started crocheting tablecloth edgings in fairly fine cotton...intricate patterns from books that had belonged to her mother. Up until then she had worked in mainly wool and thicker cotton to make garments and rugs. Each of her 3 daughters in law received a largish tablecloth with a magnificent deep edging. Elsie had 10 grandchildren but only 2 granddaughters so my 2 girls were each given a cloth in their teens.
I found a photo of my mother in law working on an edging.

And here's a photograph showing another cloth that Elsie made for me as an engagement gift, way back in 1970. The edging she had made many years before that and put it aside. When I came on the scene, she embroidered a cloth and sewed her edging on...I've always treasured it!

18 comments:

Bette said...

Her work is exquisite! What a treasure!

Kate said...

Beautiful linens and wonderful keepsakes.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Wonderfully beautiful pieces. I taught myself to crochet when I was in high school..stitching doilies in thin cottons. I LOVED the concentration required to stitch correctly. After my daughter was born, I graduated to crochet with yarn. I'm sure that I will return to stitching with cotton in delicate patterns as I have a couple of totes with unused balls.

Lin said...

Beautiful!

Chookyblue...... said...

Precious.....

Jackie said...

Those tablecloths are gorgeous and the memories they contain priceless.

God bless.

mamasmercantile said...

Wow, they are all beautiful cloths, such beautiful memories each time you see them. What a talent.

Mizumatte said...

just beautiful specially the last one, such a treasure

Nanna Chel said...

How wonderful to have these tablecloths to pass down to each generation, Maria. I would be worried that they would get stained :-)

Michelle Ridgway said...

All are so gorgeous Maria. What special treasures to have and so lovely to have them part of your special family occassions xx

Susan said...

Arent they beautiful?? I still have a lot of linen made by my Mother and grandmother...it doesn't get used but I can't bear to part with it.

angela said...

Oh wow. Wonderful work so beautiful.
Your all so lucky

Brigie said...

How absolutely wonderful.

Cynthia said...

Such beautiful work on the tablecloths and lovely heirlooms to pass on in your family. They look so pretty on the table. Lovely that your daughters appreciate them.

Kim said...

Be still my beating heart!! Such amazingly exquisite handiwork. The crochet edging is sublime. How lucky for your daughter to have such gorgeous pieces in her keeping. So happy they see the light of day and are used and loved.

Anonymous said...

Nice article and I felt very happy after read this content

Kids Dresses In India

Sue (this n that) said...

Superb work and what a family treasure Maria... ooooh, I'd have been so jittery ironing it - good for you ;D)
I do love your tablecloth in the last photo - my Mum used to do that kind of stitching and I still have some of her work.
Cheers xx

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

You are a very talented family. Those cloths are stunning :)