Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Straddie Trip Part 2

How wonderful was it to be woken by birds singing in the trees outside our bedroom window? I just love rainbow lorikeets.

 
The front veranda was a wonderful spot for a leisurely breakfast...
 
After breakfast, we headed off to the North Gorge Walk...a wooden walk way along the cliff tops and what wonderful views!!  Adrienne and DH decided to leave the path and go for a bit of a scramble downhill to get closer photos of the waves and rocks. I opted to remain 'up top' due to 'the foot', but I used the opportunity to get lots of photos of those 2 photographers...


The views were magnificent! 



We drove a little way to another vantage point so we could look up at North Gorge from a distance. 
More wonderful scenery...



 
 
 
Adrienne noticed some trees growing on the cliffs and was fascinated by them. 

I was able to tell her that they were pandanus palms...I know she took lots of photos of these trees, including close ups of their strange aerial root system. I didn't take any such photos so I've borrowed this one from the net. 


Lunch stop was at a bakery for a delicious snack. Adrienne had been trying sausage rolls on this holiday as her mum used to make them for her as a treat. 

Another stop was at Brown Lake...so named because of its colour which is due to the predominant tea-trees and their  leaves staining the water.
Once again I found a comfortable spot to sit, under the gum trees and tea trees...the ground was very uneven. 

 
 
 
In the afternoon, we visited the Straddie Golf Club ( remember DH is a mad keen golfer so we always check out golf clubs when travelling 😉) and enjoyed a drink on the deck, all the while enjoying the views. 


Another stop was at the Stradbroke Island Museum...this darling elderly dog welcomed us at the door...
The museum buildings were very historic in their own right. The buildings originally housed a Benevolent Asylum funded by the colonial Queensland government to care for the sick and elderly who had no one to care for them.  http://www.stradbrokemuseum.com.au/dba
Even though I only took a few photos, it is a very interesting museum. The island has certainly been a busy place over the years! 


The English Woman's Weekly magazine...1950s vintage, just like I can remember my mother reading.   




A new friend perhaps?? 😀


The lens of the old Point Lookout Lighthouse...
We didn't spend much time at the museum because we wanted to get back to Amity Point by about 3pm as we'd heard that wild dolphins come around the jetty around that time. We got there at 3.30 and sure enough here were a couple swimming around.
The day had flown and soon it was time for those sunset photos at Amity Point! 

Next morning it was back to Dunwich to board the ferry...



My last visit to Stradbroke Island had been in January 1971. Yep! It's taken me that long to actually go back for a visit! This visit showed me that the island is still a delightful place...laid back and beautiful! 












8 comments:

Dorothy said...

Sounds like a lovely day Maria. I visited Stradbroke Island in the early 60s - it was a boat trip from Surfers and we got off the boat for a barbecue - no exploring, just a barbecue !!!! Mind you I think it was probably all very bushy and not developed much back then. Did you notice those lovely tortoise shell knitting needles near the old Woman's Weekly? Nice eh? Hope your foot is getting better. xox

Cynthia said...

What a wonderful trip. The scenery along the coast is so beautiful! I've never heard of a pandanus tree so it was interesting to see its roots. I would have loved to be that close to the Dolphins. We cross two big bridges to get to town and I'm always on the lookout for them swimming and am often rewarded with some leaps into the air.

margaret said...

what wonderful photos the views are glorious, must check out with my sister if she has been when she comes over in august, will show her your blog

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Totally amazing photos 💖💖

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Amazing that such a glorious place has remained the same in all those years!! I am in awe of the pictures you have taken of this visit. Such a serene place. Didn't you just want to stay forever!
xx, Carol

Jackie said...

Wonderful photos. You had a wonderful trip.

God bless.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I hope to see a rainbow lorikeet in person someday :) and I love that view of the north gorge!!

Susan said...

Funnily enough - even though I have been here since late 1988 - I have never been to Stradbroke island...or Russell Is or . . any of them I think.