Search This Blog

Friday, February 7, 2014

What have I been reading lately?...

The two books I'm going to discuss in this post were recommended in a column in our Saturday newspaper a little while ago, and I was able to borrow both of them from the BCC library!

The first book is 'Get Well Soon; My UnBrilliant Career as a Nurse' by Kristy Chambers. 


As the title suggests, this book documents the writer's journey through university through to a number of years working as a nurse. Any book about a nursing career has to have  some confronting sections, but Ms Chambers throws in humour to soften those 'bits'. Her language is a bit crude at times but as a teacher I heard all that in the playground whilst doing 'yard duty' and without mentioning names, some of our 5 DDs have been known to use similar words too. Sensitive souls probably would find some of the chapters hard to read. So what does that say about me? I enjoyed the book and took very little time to read the book...I was enthralled and sometimes I rejoiced with the writer and sometimes I did feel sad about the things that she wrote...but a lot of things in life are like that...highs and lows...But I did laugh...at the funny bits...

The other book was another that kept me enthralled and I finished it in double quick time. (for me who normally falls asleep over books at night) The Farm by Tom Rob Smith is set in both London and a small farm in Sweden. As I started reading the book I felt that same feeling of  'menace' that I get when watching  the TV series, Wallander, which is also set in Sweden... Smith develops his characters so vividly for the reader. The book builds to a climax and then there is the most unexpected twist...it was wonderful! I believe that the genre of this novel is psychological thriller and it 'had me in its grip'...I loved it!


And now I'm off to do some knitting for Friday Night with Friends...
Oh! And the Doctor Blake Mysteries second series is on ABC1 at 8.30. DH is making me a cup of coffee as I type this, so I best be off...
Don't forget that Giveaway...drawn on February 15. And remember if blogger won't let you leave a comment, use the email button on my profile page...the link to that page is under that old photo of me on the lefthand side of the blog. Good luck :-)

5 comments:

Cathy said...

Making a note of both those books for a quick look at the library. Dr Blake is on now - lots of scenes set in the lovelycentre of Ballarat.
Cathy

Dorothy said...

I'm always on the look out for good reads so will check-out those two books you mentioned. Love the idea of including book recommendations - might have to start doing that myself. I do have a list of books I've read this year in my sidebar. Have a great weekend. xox

Dorothy said...

PS .. My library has both books and I've requested them. I should get the Kristy Chambers one within a day or so and I'm No. 5 on the list for the other.

Sue Niven said...

Thanks for sharing your good reads with us, I confess I have not read a book in ages!

Helen S said...

Glad you like Tom Robb Smith! I loved Child 44 and am keen to read the next one in the series of 3. I have Child 44 if you're looking for another engrossing read - set in Russia.