Search This Blog

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Some finishes and some more Knit and Natters...

A few posts ago I wrote about being in the mood to join knitted and crocheted squares into blankets for Knitting for Brisbane's Needy. I'm now almost finished #8 and even though there are still some bags of donated squares 'lurking' in my house, I will most probably move on to some other projects as soon as this 8th blanket is finished.
Thank you to those who commented on the rather striking colour schemes of those blankets posted previously, but really the credit must go to the lovely Glenda at Sisters of stitch. Blanket #7 was not colour coordinated by any means...this blanket used an array of odd squares donated from a variety of sources. The criterion for the use of squares in that blanket was size...any ones that were a similar size were used! Angela asked how I join squares. I mostly join squares using double crochet these days as it's quicker than mattress stitch and also quicker than a former technique I used on  (wonky edged) knitted squares where I did a row of double crochet around the edges of the squares and then whipstitched the squares together. 
So here is a photo of blanket number 7...a mismatch of squares but it will still keep someone warm this coming winter....
There were some knitted flowers in one bag of squares so I sewed them on this blanket to add a little interest :-)

On Monday I was finally able to take some finished items to hand in at the Scarborough Knit and Natter. Mitzi Micra's little boot/trunk was filled with the 7 finished blankets...

Completed blankets piled up on my lounge last Sunday night :-)
At the Knit and Natter, 'my' blankets joined a whole lot of other rugs that were handed in..


As usual the ladies who come to the Scarborough K & N had been very busy and there were bags and bags of items brought along to hand in, including some lovely indigenous jumpers...

And Robyn who held up everyone's items for Show and Tell was kept busy as some 'ends' not woven in were found in some of the items...yours truly had 2 ends left hanging despite checking over the 7 blankets the night before! 

Robyn weaving in an end on a beautiful scarf!
That was Monday...on Tuesday morning I went to the Paddington Knit and Natter at Knitch...a delightful store. 
Shelly, one of our members brought along a bag of Pookies that she had knitted for the Summer Challenge...

Gorgeous little Pookies!


And I handed in that chevron/ripple stitch  throw that I had been working on for the Mothers' Day Raffle.

All ready for a new home in early May.

Just a reminder of my Giveaway to celebrate 800+ blog posts. To be in the draw just leave a comment on this post here.  Draw will be on February 15
Tote bag from California Design Shop at QAG...

6 comments:

Dorothy said...

Seems we're both night owls Maria :) I was just about to shut down and go to bed and your post popped up. Your ripple blanket is GORGEOUS .. it will surely make lots of dollars for the raffle. You're certainly a very busy lady - all those knit-n-natters. I visited a group that meets in my local library the other day. A CWA friend goes and I just happened to be collecting a book and heard her voice - along with lots of other happy chatters. I'm thinking of joining them next Wednesday. Off to bed for me now. xoxox

Unknown said...

Each time I read your blogs Maria,I think what an amazing good hearted woman you are - so here it is now in words...
Cheers Ryll

duchess_declutter said...

Those Pookies are so cute!

Anonymous said...

gorgeous work and boy you all get so much done.xx

angela said...

Ohh some very cute cuddlies there and the blankets look great. Well done ladies.

Wendy said...

those Pookies are really cute! Well done on making and donating 8 blankets, that is so generous of you, great achievement.