Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Remembrance Day

Today is Remembrance Day here in Australia; a day where we honour those who served in wars and in particular those who made the ultimate sacrifice. The date chosen is actually the day that was known as Armistice Day when finally WW1 ended. 



It’s 9 years since I retired but I still remember the ceremonies that school communities would hold on both Remembrance Day and ANZAC Day. At my last school, Year 7 students would run the ANZAC commemorations and Year 6 would run the Remembrance Day ceremony. Being the Year 6 teacher for a few years, my classes and I worked hard to make each ceremony meaningful. 



Due to COVID-19 restrictions, things have been different this year of course.  I was always going to write a post about ANZAC Day 2020 but some how never got around to it...until today! 
Due to lockdown restrictions, public gatherings for ANZAC Day were not allowed. Instead, Australians were encouraged to ‘Light Up The Dawn’ and stand in their individual front driveways with candles and follow the dawn services that were being streamed. 




DH and I stood on our front verandah and various neighbours stood in their driveways and others stood on unit balconies. It was very poignant and as we participated, the sun rose. 
We used battery operated candles...



We streamed the RSL service on my iPad...


A few days before April 25, inspired by photos being posted on Facebook, I decided to make some felt red poppies...


And then I thought I’d have a go at making a wreath...


And the 2 teddies I’d bought from Legacy stalls years ago were brought out and into service for ANZAC Day too. 
Then I decided that I’d have a go at making a knitted wreath too! 😉


So  all in all, ANZAC Day 2020 turned out to be rather special. 
Today, the ceremonies were televised once again as large gatherings are not allowed...unless it’s a football match...but that’s another story and I must resist the temptation to suggest that hypocrisy is alive and well! 🙄🙄

7 comments:

Gail said...

It's lovely;y the way Australia celebrates Remembrance Day. Here in the States we used to have parades and such but that has gone away. It's a National holiday so folks stay home and do whatever without much thought of Veteran's Day. Sad really.

Nanna Chel said...

Maria, I agree about the football. It is all quite odd I must say. So many inconsistencies. I was in the hairdressers in our large shopping centre when we were asked for a minute's silence. The 'minute' turned into about five minutes and everyone was looking around wondering if they could talk again as obviously something had gone wrong with the timer. LOL! My brother died on Remembrance Day so it holds many sad memories for me.

mamasmercantile said...

Love your wreaths. We too stood on the doorstep at 11 o'clock for the two minutes silence it was quite poignant I must admit. Not quite the service as in usual years but better than expected.

Jackie said...

Love the wreaths. We stood on our steps as well and observed the one minute of silence.

God bless.

Dorothy said...

Hello Maria ... I've been a bit quiet on the blog-o-sphere lately but thought I'd try to catch up with a few old mates tonight. Your Remembrance Day wreath is lovely (love the effect of the plaited knitting). Agree with you re the numbers allowed at gatherings - I heard today that Wednesday's State of Origin is booked out. Hope you've been keeping well. Dorothy xox

Lily Allen said...

Love the wreaths.
clipping path

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

We had small socially distanced local layings of wreaths and the national two minute silence but lots was online this year, which was sad as it was the centenary of the burial of the unknown soldier and it was beautifully done but very much scaled down. I love the poppies and wreaths you made to remember and commemorate all those who were lost. I hope you and your family are keeping well :)