Search This Blog

Monday, October 8, 2018

Wool on Sunday

Once again joining in with Janine over at the Rainbow Hare blog here to share what yarn related things I’ve been up to in the last month. Janine's post features a magnificent crocheted mat.

So a fair bit of progress on the mohair throw which is using up some hoarded yarn. I think this will be donated to the Karuna Hospice Christmas Market in late November.

More donated squares have been turned into a big blanket and a little baby blanket. My knitting group had just had a request for baby blankets from an organisation that helps young mothers who are doing it tough and on their own. And luckily one of the ladies who crochets squares for us had decided a little while ago to do some smaller squares in soft yarn...perfect!


The golden yellow yarn was donated by a friend who had the yarn for a while. Readers (of a certain age 😉) from SE Queensland  might recognise the brand of yarn. It’s Baroba which was the brand of a local department store called Barry and Roberts. B&R closed its doors when DD1 was little...about 36 years ago! So my friend had that yarn for a loooooong time, but it was in perfect condition.

I’ve also been working on mini Christmas stockings for K4BN. Each year the group makes these and fills them with sweets and these small gifts are distributed to the needy in the community. We’ve been giving away over 6000 per year.
Instead of showing my efforts I’m going to share a photo of some of the stockings made by an amazing member of K4BN. Rita has made 800 of these so far this year; her goal is to make 1000! 
Aren’t they fabulous and Rita is certainly inspiring.





10 comments:

doodles n daydreams said...

You've been busy Maria. The blankets and the stockings are a wonderful way to give to your community and I'm sure they all appreciate it :) Rita has certainly been working hard. Well done all of you.
Diana

Susan said...

What an awesome effort from Rita..the white & yellow is a lovely combination too.
perhaps we need to bring sweets to SS this month . . .Christmas does sneak up when you think about it like that.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

800 STOCKINGS!! Rita is an amazing stitcher and if I lived near her I would donate yarn. Christmas is sure sneaking up on us.
xx, Carol

Lin said...

What an amazing collection of little stockings! Nice work on your mohair blanket Maria. xx

bettsylyn said...

Yes,Maria, I still have some Baroba yarn.

Helen said...

Oh wow.... that is amazing, you have all done sooooo well....

Nanette said...

My goodness! What a fantastic array of stockings from Rita. I wish I'd had this photo to show on my WOS post, instead of my few! You've been busy with your pretty blankets as always Maria.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Amazing group of stockings. Will pop some sweeties in my bag for next meeting. The orphan blocks have come up a treat xx

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

I love your mohair blanket and the crochet ones look nice too. And I can hardly believe all those stockings! You and your friend really are a wonderful pair with all your charity knitting and crochet. Thank you for linking up with Wool on Sundays :)

Jackie said...

Wow, your needles never stopped. Love the mohair blanket.

God bless.