Search This Blog

Thursday, September 13, 2018

The Art Show...

The parish art show this year was more low key than ever before but as if by magic,  ( or was it divine intervention? 😉) the money raised was almost as much as raised in other years.
The organisers decided to feature the works of indigenous artists and much effort was put into finding such artists to invite them to exhibit.
Our parish priest opening the show. Father B is himself an aboriginal.




After the show when I checked my photos I realised I'd missed taking photos of some really large works...that were very traditional and eyecatching.
The next photo was an exhibit put in the show by the teenage granddaughter of our parish priest. These pieces were part of an assessment for her art studies at high school. They were eyecatching and attracted a lot of interest...

A close up of that dress made of Coca Cola cans...

The young artist joked that it wouldn't be the most comfortable dress to wear! I agree! 😂
I knitted 2 throws to donate to the show...
The chevron garter stitch one sold on opening night. The buyer planned to use it as a wall hanging as she said that way her teenage children couldn't 'wreck it'. I didn't really mind that she wasn't going to drape it over her sofa and snuggle under it when the weather was chilly...the main thing was that it sold...which meant money in the parish 'kitty'! 😉

The inset photo in the previous photo shows both the chevron throw and also another indigenous throw that was not for sale. It just was on display as it had been made for K4BN.
The other donated throw...

The mohair one in indigenous colours sold on the Saturday. An aboriginal elder woman bought it saying that she would auction it to raise funds. She was confident she could raise a fair amount that way. ( I did hear later though that she loved it so much she was thinking of keeping it)
This year the craft stall holders were in the hall. Other years they have been in the church and the paintings were in the hall.

And I fell in love with a painting and ended up buying it. It was painted by a young indigenous artist who had entered 6 pieces of his work. There was a luminescence about the painting that I just loved!

The artist described his painting as being 2 traditional young indigenous men sitting at night thinking of their plans for hunting the next day. DsD1 said it reminded her of the Lost Boys characters in Peter Pan. And I found that it reminded me of the Kindle icon on my iPad. Lol! Different interpretations to different people.

And that was the 2018 Art Show. 

7 comments:

Kim said...

What a fabulous art show; so many gorgeous pieces to be seen. How wonderful your parish raised more money than ever before. So happy your beautiful afghans sold. Love the painting you bought. It is beautiful!

Jackie said...

Wonderful art. That picture is gorgeous! I think I might have snapped it up as well.

God bless.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Beautiful work and love your purchase. How exciting that both your lovely throws sold. Well done xx

Nanna Chel said...

Nice artwork, Maria. I agree that that coca cola can dress would be a tad uncomfortable. LOL!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Lots of great art there in a variety of mediums. It looks like there was something for everyone. I love your picture. It's wonderful that the show exceeded prior funds raised at other shows.
xx, Carol

mamasmercantile said...

What a great show and I loved the artwork you chose to buy.

Susan said...

I'm sure your throws always well maria - they are always lovely

Love the painting too - always love things with trees!