Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Another Baby Shower...

Last Sunday we gathered for DsD1's baby shower. It happened to be a very hot day so we were very glad of the aircon in DsD2's loungeroom.
The party started with some bubbles...😉

The guest of honour looked lovely...

There were some games, food and even some drawing! On the floor were some blank sheets of paper and some felt pens and guests were invited to each illustrate a page of what will become an alphabet book for the baby.

One game was 'pictionary' where each guest would have to illustrate a 'pregnancy/baby' related word that had been written on little pieces of paper and put in a container. The people in my group who had turns before me got some real doozies of words like, 'placenta' and 'post natal depression', so it was with a bit of trepidation that I put my hand in the container to draw out a word...and I got 'bib'! which even I could draw! Lol!
And the best part of the afternoon was watching the guest of honour open the gifts!



DsD2 wrote down a description of each gift along with who had given it; very handy when writing thank you s!
DH and I had earlier given DsD1 the money for a pram with a bit left over for whatever, so she didn't expect a baby shower gift from us...but of course I organised something else...

Here's a closer look at the 'nappy cake' which I had bought from a local young mum who makes these as a little sideline business. Because DsD1 and Dan had been staying with us I had had to hide the gift in my sewing 'cave' until the party...

The cake had nappies (diapers), towel, washer, muslin, baby lotion, baby soap, toys and some other items that I've forgotten 🙄. It looked lovely and DsD1 was charmed by it. I found this gift to be very cost effective so win win!
On the same afternoon, DD2's best friend was having her baby shower and I sent a nappy cake with DsD2 to that party too.

On Monday DsD1 and Dan headed back to the farm, 6 hours away from Brisbane. Despite having a large vehicle, they couldn't fit everything in their car. ( while here in the city they bought all their baby furniture, pram, pantry cupboard and were given a clothes drier by DsD1's mother and sisters)
So we have some 'overflow' items that were left here...and some stored under the house.

So the plan is that next Saturday DH and I are driving up to Toowoomba with these items to meet up with DsD1 and Dan who are driving down to there from Wandoan for an antenatal session. Toowoomba is where the baby will be born in early March as where they live is a long way from hospital. DsD1 will come to Toowoomba 3 weeks before the due date to await the birth.
City slickers like me have no real concept of what it must be like living in these more isolated areas and not being close to doctors and hospitals.
PS. DsD1's friends and family in Wandoan have another baby shower planned for her so the coming baby will certainly have lots of 'stuff'  by the time she arrives.





8 comments:

Maria said...

A fun afternoon at the baby shower. The special cakes look gorgeous.

mamasmercantile said...

Those nappy cakes looked wonderful, what a great gift. Looks like a fun afternoon.

Susan said...

Looks like the local mum is doing a great business with you lately - a very clever idea. Some good ideas for the games too.

doodles n daydreams said...

It looks like a lot of fun was had by all. I like the idea of the nappy cake.

Diana

Jackie said...

Oh those diaper cakes are so cute.

Looks as if you all had a great time.

I think I might have been able to draw a bib as well. Those others are leaving me scratching my head as to how I would even come close to drawing them.

God bless.

angela said...

Looks like a lot of fun
The diaper cakes are a great idea.
They are so very cute

Michelle Ridgway said...

A lovely celebration....lots to look forward too xx

Chookyblue...... said...

A great day...... Special memories.....