Search This Blog

Sunday, April 3, 2016

Wool on Sundays...

Joining in with Janine's Rainbow Hare blog and the weekly Wool on Sundays link up.

 I occasionally check out op shops (thrift shops, charity shops) for anything that might be useful for the knitting charity I belong to. These items range from balls/bags of yarn to unfinished projects, including orphan knitted or crocheted squares. Last year I went to a favourite local op shop at Chermside and saw this bag with what looked like oddments of yarn. But a closer look revealed that there was an unfinished baby afghan in the bag.
 

There was plenty of yarn in the bag to continue working on the rounds to make the blanket larger...
I only work on this project when I go to the K4BN Knit and Natters and the reason for that is that it's the sort of project where I can concentrate on the Natter part of the occasion rather than the knitting/crocheting! Lol
But I will be spending more time on this project in the next few weeks, as I've found the perfect place for it to go to. I also belong to the Australia-wide knitting group, Knit 4 Charities Inc. Each month K4C has a number of charities that group members can choose from to make projects. One of the charities for April is Maya's Rest Cottage in the ACT and the requests were for knitted/crocheted toys, lap blankets and children's knitted/crocheted slippers. So my plan is to finish this soft blanket and send to K4C to pass it on.

10 comments:

margaret said...

this will be so war and cosy for a baby what a great find

Una said...

It's lovely that you are going to finish the blanket. The colours are perfect for a baby.

angela said...

Great find. I'm going to have to start going into the op shops and seeing if I can be as lucky as you xx

Dorothy said...

Oh Wow Maria ... the blanket looks amazing already but I'll be looking forward to seeing it after you've finished it off. I'm the K4C collector for Maya's Rest and I know this will be a very much appreciated donation. Thank you so much. xox

Sharm said...

Great to be able to continue on with the blanket! I used to have a great Aunt who spent her whole married life living at Chermside. I grew up in Wynnum.

Cynthia said...

Such pretty soft colors. Someone will love it!

Susan said...

Lovely colours Maria. it will be gorgeous and great for Canberra's cooler weather.

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

It's great that you're finishing this. It looks like the perfect project for your knit and natter group and it's growing into a lovely warm blanket for someone :)
Thank you for linking up with Wool on Sundays :)

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Looks fantastic xx

Nanna Chel said...

That is a great organisation you are part of, Maria. No cold weather here yet although the evenings are becoming chilly but I am sure winter is on its way and the homeless etc. will be needing warmer clothing.