Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

30 years of hairstyles!!!

I've mentioned in previous posts that for quite a while (since the beginning of July) I have been gradually sorting through family photos to come up with a collection of photos of DD2 ready to be displayed at her 30th birthday party. At first the sorting and looking through boxes and albums was just worked on occasionally, but when september 1 rolled round it was time to pick up the pace a bit as her party is the 20th.  
The venue for her party has a plasma screen TV in place but only plays DVDs, so plugging in a USB was not an option. My memories of using programs at work to burn/copy CDs and DVDs was always a 'hit and miss' affair and I faced the task with a bit of trepidation. But it turns out the the option of burning a DVD is inbuilt in the computer so it was just a matter of placing the blank disc in the little 'drawer' and following the prompts that came up on the screen. And it gets even better...I was worried that if I didn't animate the 148 photos in some way ???? that when the DVD was played it would just be stuck on one photo...I whispered that because it does sound pretty stupid! lol. When we played the DVD in our system, it not only moved through all the photos but it moved them across the screen, while another photo rolled into view...all sorts of effects just happening! We could also click an icon on the screen and the photos would mass together in a grid formation...so Plan B of taking a USB with the scanned images on it to the local Harvey Norman store to get them to make the DVD wasn't necessary.

One thing that seemed to stand out was our changing hairstyles...this is what I mean...
Just a few hours old here...we thought that we might have a little redhead...

Then after a while little miss was bald...



And when her hair grew it was blonde like her big sister and father...

Ah hem...my hair is interesting????


Then the curls started to grow...(and I must have wanted curls too...oh dear 1980's 'Big Hair styles')






 Here's a photo with her grandma and you can see those ringlets...
Those ringlets looked cute tied up in bunches...

But by the time DD2 was 4, the curls had gone...





Sometimes her hair was tied up, as in this photo taken at a Sunday School Christmas service...DD2 was a galah in the Christmas play...(that's me in the check shirt; all the mums dressed up as farm hands for the Christmas play)


Thank goodness, I seemed to have given up on the perms :-/
Oops...maybe not!



My girls were growing up and I had gone back to short hair while they grew theirs...


In this photo DD2 was wearing clothes bought from an op shop...that was the phase she was in then...

Teenage years and time to experiment with hair colour...


17 years old and living with just her mum...


Next photo DH is 20 and married...(didn't last )...she is still experimenting with hair colour as I am!!


At her 21st birthday party

Blonde again 5 years ago :-)
 With her cousin's baby girl...4 years ago
 Last year on Mothers' Day...

A few months ago with here BF...and wearing her Ryan Gosling shirt!

So on Saturday my girl will be 30! 


5 comments:

Vireya said...

Wow, that was a fun trip through hair (and clothing) fashions of the last 30 years.

Happy birthday wishes to the birthday girl!

Anonymous said...

Hi Maria yes I can remember the year of the perms,lovely photos,it's fun looking through them,happy birthday to your girl.xx

Anonymous said...

Lovely pics Maria. She's gorgeous.
Getting out the shoe box of pics and the old albums cannot be rushed as we go through old memories.

I culled a lot of my photos when I first retired and was making a family album for each of my sons going back to my own grandfather, and with notes beside each photo so that my boys knew who each person was (some had died before they were born).

It took months, but a labour of love, and when I handed each son their album I told them to stick it at the back of the cupboard if they wanted to, but the time would come as they grow older themselves that it might become very important.

Dorothy said...

Enjoyed the 'hair style' post - I think I'm still stuck in the 80s as I still have perms LOL. Happy birthday to your daughter for Saturday - love the pic of her with BF - they look so happy. xox

Bev C said...

Hello Maria,

What a great post, noticed the green table and chairs, we had one of those which was purchased for our eldest daughter, it lasted for years. I loved seeing your family through the years. My youngest daughter has the same Ryan Gosling t-shirt!

Happy days.
Bev.