Search This Blog

Friday, January 24, 2014

FNSI...making blankets again...

In the last few days I've 'gone back' to joining donated squares into blankets for K4BN after having a break of a few months while I caught up on sewing projects for the Christmas swaps. I find using all the donated squares and creating something useful to be very satisfying.

I think I have the easy job...it's possible to have a completed blanket in just hours, not weeks, as it would be if I were to make blankets/throws/rugs 'from scratch'. A number of the ladies at Sisters of Stitch make squares for K4BN and last night I finished joining some squares from 2 of those ladies, to make a new blanket. One of the ladies takes the opportunity to try out some very effective looking designs...such as the one in the photo below...


 Most of the blocks are 'traditional' granny square blocks but there weren't enough to make a decent sized blanket...the 'fancy ones' are a lovely feature and have ensured a good size.

Joining these squares was my FNSI project. I started crocheting around the edges of the blanket but tiredness overtook my enthusiasm to be finished...
 One lady at SoS has been very generous and over the latter part of 2013 gave me dozens of crocheted squares. One blanket was finished last year but it's just in the last few days that I've been back joining squares. Glenda had set herself a goal of one square per day and each fortnight she would hand over 14 (sometimes 15) squares.
 These are the two blankets I completed Wednesday/Thursday this week; just need to neaten off some ends.
 And I still have one bag of Glenda's squares to join...the yellow/orange colour scheme.

So as you can see, there will be some beautiful blankets going into the K4BN stockpile thanks to the lovely ladies at Sisters of Stitch.

Don't forget the Giveaway; just leave a comment here before Sunday 6pm AEST and those bright fabrics could be yours!  ( non-Bloggers, remember you may also email me if you find it frustratingly difficult to leave a comment)

6 comments:

Susan said...

Amazing how sometimes random squares just go together.

Claud said...

Gorgeous! Great job Maria.

angela said...

They look fantastic. Well done

Leanne said...

Amazing crochet, those blankets look so toasty.

Cath said...

I love the colours in the blue/green one. Great way to use up random squares.

Cath @ Bits 'n Bobs

Rosie said...

Lovely blankets, you were busy.