Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

June 26...our anniversary.

Today DH and I celebrated our wedding anniversary... He had proposed to me in the January while we were having a gelato in Lygon St, Carlton in Melbourne. The wedding date had been chosen carefully as a federal election was due that year and DH's job involved running federal elections which meant long hours and weekend work. The election was tipped to be later in the year, so June was considered 'safe'. 

It was a second marriage for both of us so the OTT wedding gown wasn't an option. I vaguely thought that I'd wear a caftan like gown with lots of colour. It was organised that my best friend, ( and bridesmaid), my future SIL and also my brother's wife at the time and I would go dress/outfit shopping on a certain Saturday morning. We had a list of a number of dress shops as I expected to take ages to find something. Our first stop was a suburb away and a favourite shop of mine over the years. The shop owner, Marlene, brought out a number of outfits...she recommended cream rather than the lurid colours I had thought about! lol The second outfit I tried on was the one !  I knew as soon as I had tried it on. And it was cream :-) 
So we all decided to then drive to Sandgate to a shoe shop that my friend recommended...and lunch of course too. By the end of the day I had bought some lovely new shoes, so I did well. 

On my wedding day my future SIL surprised me by organising for a friend to drive us in a limo...

The bouquets were made by my friend's god-daughter at 'mates' rates'...no hydrangeas at the time of year so I chose irises and Singapore orchids...
DH with his brother and our parish priest at the time, Father Rod, waiting for me to arrive... We were early, so Phil, the friend who owned the limo, drove around nearby suburbs and people waved to us...until it was time...
My baby brother was waiting at the church to 'give me away'....
To start the service my 2 girls and DH's 3 girls lit 2 candles to signify the 2 families...





At the end of the service, DH and I light the 3rd candle to signify the joining of the families...

With my 2 darling nephews...they are so much taller than me  these days!

With my new inlaws...My widowed SIL on the right in the back row was to later  catch the bouquet and she still keeps asking me 'when it is going to work'?  lol
 We had the reception in the old church hall and we had one big party for 100 of our friends and family. It was all in a lovely atmosphere. Our caterer was at that time, the owner of a renowned tea shop here in Brisbane, 'High Societea'...I had known Cathy for a number of years through my friend Pamela.

Here we are walking into the reception...to the tune of  'I do I do I do I do I do, by Abba.

Here is our beautiful cake with its sprays of hydrangeas and morning glorys...
 And here is Pamela, the wonderful friend who made and decorated this cake for us...

It was a lovely day and it's been fun looking back through all the photos. It has been so wonderful to 'get a second chance' in love.

13 comments:

Susan said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Dorothy said...

What wonderful memories Maria - lovely photos. Happy anniversary and may there be many more. xox

Nanette said...

Lovely Maria...you look gorgeous, and so many wonderful memories in those photos. Congratulations.

Unknown said...

Beautifull :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary to you both. Incidentally Maria. I did notice the purple decorations on your cake. Does that mean you like purple? Ha ha.

Marilyn said...

So lovely to look at the photos of your day. Love your cream outfit. Happy Anniversary.

Anthea said...

Happy Anniversary Maria, thank you for sharing these great pics - and yes I like the cream outfit too!!

Noela said...

Congratulations to you and your hubby Maria. I too got a second chance and you are right it is wonderful. Hugs......

duchess_declutter said...

Happy Anniversary Maria and DH!

retdairyqueen said...

Happy Anniversary to you both and thanks for sharing the photos
Lovely

Unknown said...

Congratulations Maria. I like purple too and also had the same colours for our wedding. You looked lovely and you still look the same today ... lovely! Hugs Sue

angela said...

Happy anniversary! May you have many more. xxx

Tatkis said...

Such a lovely event, congratulations with the anniversary!

Hugs,
Tatyana